What do I do if my child is injured in a car crash?

Parents do everything in their power to protect their children from harm or injury. However, they cannot control other drivers on the road. Car accidents can happen so fast, so it is critical to know what you should do if your child is in the car at the time of an accident.

What do I do if my child is injured in a car crash1. Call 911

As soon as possible after a crash, call 911. Police will arrive to investigate the accident and determine who was at fault. But more importantly, parents and children can receive emergency medical attention.

2. Do not move your child, but look for injuries

It will be tempting for parents to move their children. Especially if their child is unconscious, they might try to get out of their own seat and reach their child as quickly as possible.

However, a severe car crash can leave individuals in a dangerous situation. And moving could potentially worsen any injuries for both the parent and the child.

It is still critical to look for injuries. If the child is conscious, it can help to ask them how they feel and where they feel pain. Parents should also look for:

  • Any sign of bleeding;
  • Broken bones; and
  • Abnormal breathing or speech.

Children could face an even higher risk of the most common car accident injuries, including whiplash or a concussion. So, parents must be aware of the most common signs of head injuries that children exhibit.

3. Monitor your child—even after they see a doctor

Many people might seem fine after an accident. However, there is still a risk that internal injuries might not show symptoms until days after the accident.

Even if children see a doctor, parents should check their children for signs of injuries regularly.

You know your child better than anyone. It is usually safe to say that if something does not seem right, it is not. If this is the case, you should take your child and seek medical attention as soon as possible.

It is possible to recover compensation

Children have just as much of a right to recover compensation if they are injured due to someone else’s recklessness in Pennsylvania. However, usually, parents must be the ones to take legal action on behalf of their children if they suffer a serious injury in a crash.

If your child is injured because of the negligence of another, you should call McDonald At Law now at 717-899-1907. We can also be reached by email. You can speak with one of our knowledgeable attorneys at our Lancaster office now about recovering compensation for any injuries you or your child suffer in a car accident. Our founding attorney, Michael P. McDonald is the only Board Certified Attorney by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in Lancaster County.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *